Registration Deadline: Oct 29, 2019
See bottom for Q&A.
We are proud to offer our students taking AP Computer Science the opportunity to earn 4 University of Washington credits for UW Computer Science 142 for 10th, 11th and 12th grade Students. The cost of these credits are $305* ($260, plus a $45 UW registration fee) which must be submitted by mail or phone by Oct 26, 2018. Registration instructions are located at: https://www.uwhs.uw.edu/students-parents/registration-fees/
The UW Computer Science program has approved that our AP CS class meets the requirements of CS 142 and now allows this articulation; meaning students can graduate North Creek High School with a UW transcript with 4 credits! The necessary forms and fact sheet for this program will be sent home with all AP CS students (additional details below). This is a great opportunity to earn UW credits for a fraction of the cost while at North Creek High School, but it also means that registered students are making the commitment to put in the extra effort to succeed in AP CS, since the grade in this class will go on their permanent UW record.
UW in HS Fact details can be found on line at: https://www.uwhs.uw.edu/students-parents/ . For more details regarding the UW in the High School program visit the website: https://www.uwhs.uw.edu/, and you can contact the program with any questions at email@example.com or (206) 543-2310. And if there is any questions I can answer regarding our AP class, feel free to contact me, Mr. Stride, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Details about UW in HS:
- Registration form: You'll need the registration form with the special registration number, Reg#: 184796.
- Partner Schools: https://www.uwhs.uw.edu/partner-schools/
- Cost: $305. Course Fee: $260, Registration Fee: $45 (Note: If students are registering for more than one course that starts in the same term, they only need to pay the registration fee once. However, if the student later registers for a second semester class, the registration fee will need to be paid again at that time.)
- Just in case, Drop & Withdrawal policy: https://www.uwhs.uw.edu/students-parents/drops-withdrawals/
- UW Transcripts. Students are not automatically sent a UW transcript. There is a $11 fee for each official transcript (+ $2 convenience fee if done online), which can be ordered via a student’s MyUW page or by using the Transcript Request Form. For additional information about how students can request their transcript visit: https://www.uwhs.uw.edu/students-parents/grades-transcripts/
In addition, students in AP CS are encouraged to take the Advanced Placement Exam in early May.
* Please note that the UWHS fee is non-refundable and there are predefined rules if a student decides to withdraw from the program. The UW grade earned through this program will be on your permanent UW record. Details on computing the final grade for UW in the HS will be provided shortly.
Once your registration has been processed, you will receive a Transaction Summary via email. This serves as the receipt for your payment and confirmation that you have been registered for UW credit. Keep these emails as they contain the information needed to create your UW NetID.
Q: Should I do UWHS or the AP CS A Exam?
A: It is up to you. You can do one, neither, or both. I highly encourage the AP CS A Exam, but it is not required. If you can't decide, go with the AP CS A Exam because it is cheaper.
Q: What are the differences between UWHS and the AP CS A Exam?
A: Here is a quick summary.
The AP CS A Exam costs less (approximately $110). The AP Exam earns the student a score strictly from the AP Exam--no homework, no projects, no high school tests or quizzes are considered. The AP Exam will provide the student with credit according to the rules of the specific institution. You need to check with the school to determine that. Some schools give credit if a certain score is achieved, while some select schools don't give credit at all. By and large, the AP CS A Exam earns you credit more broadly than the UWHS option.
The UWHS costs more ($305). The student earns a university transcript from UW and the grade is earned from all classwork and exams taken during the school year. Once enrolled, students have only a limited time to drop out. The course credit will transfer to all Washington universities (except for two), and to many other nationwide universities, but not as many as the AP CS A Exam.