Swim & DIVE
This page and site contains information about practices, transportation, meet schedule, communication, lettering requirements, equipment and more.
Boys Diving Info
Deb Shelton will be the Diving coach. Practices will be held at the Juanita Pool. Practice times are:
- 2:50pm - 4:10pm
boys Swim Practice & Transportation
The first day of practice is Nov 18th at 5:30 AM at the Mill Creek Country Club (WEST) Pool. Many of the boys will begin dry-land (weight lifting) 2-3 weeks before the season begins. This is swimmer organized and is completely voluntary. Those that participate will have a fitness edge!
There are no buses to practices. Swimmers need to arrange for their own rides, which may include carpooling with other parents/swimmers, so long as all parents are fully informed and give consent. We will have buses to every regular season swim meet.
We practice 5 days a week, in the mornings from 5:30AM – 6:30AM, except for the days that we have meets. School starts at 7:30AM which gives only 1 hour to get out of the pool and into the classroom.
Before swimmers are eligible to compete in a meet, they must have attended 10 practices. No exceptions.
Address of practice locations:
West Coast Aquatics
15622 Country Club Drive
Bothell, WA 98012
Sept 23-Nov 16: 4.1 miles (12 minutes) from NCHS
Communication through Remind is frequent and time critical. Please join the Remind.com group by joining "@coachstrid". It is imperative that all swimmers join because there is a high need for quick and direct communication with the athlete. Swimmers should have communication through their phone so that they read the messages immediately.
Parents may/should join as well.
Boys Meet Schedule
The official boy's meets schedule can be found here. HOWEVER, at this time, it is likely incorrect due to the Redmond pool being closed. I have a tentative schedule available that you can see below. Furthermore, the Post-Season schedule is unique. There are files located here that are official. I will reflect the times and locations below.
We have seven dual meets. Our first dual meet is on Thursday, 12/5. All dual meets are in the afternoon, starting at 3 PM at Juanita HS.
Post Season swim meets are:
- KingCo Invite: Jan 31st
- KingCo Championships: Feb 7/8 (Mary Wayte)
- Districts: Feb 14/15 (Mary Wayte)
- States: Feb 21/22 (Federal Way)
There will be bus transportation to our regular season dual meets and likely every post-season meet as well. Swimmers are expected to ride the bus. Because we are expected to arrive at the meets 30-60 minutes early to allow for warm-ups, for our 3pm dual meets we need to start our travel time 1:50. Students will be expected to leave class at 1:35 so that they can be on the bus on time. The bus will not be held up for anyone: you snooze you lose.
We are expected to provide timers and officials at all our meets. There is a a greater duty to provide timers and officials during our home meets. We will have a Sign-Up Genius to help get a sense of our volunteers.
Please go to the Equipment Page for details.
If parents are able to get involved and participate in fundraisers, the costs for the equipment listed above can be somewhat offset/reduced. I, personally, am not adept at driving fundraisers, so parent involvement here would be greatly appreciated. Funds raised may be used for Senior Awards, end-of-year Swim Banquet, invite swim meet entry dues, and other miscellaneous items.
How to Letter
Details are posted here.
Date TBD: We will have an awards banquet to recognize each athlete for their achievements during the season. This is a fun event for parents and the entire family. All swimmers are expected to attend. It will be held in the Library at NCHS.
Parents are needed to help during the meets. There are several ways that contribute to the success of a season: Meet Starter/Referee, Timers, Scorekeeper, Snacks, and Fundraiser Organizer.
Plans for inclement weather
It is unusual to experience snow or extreme weather. However, in the event of extreme weather, we will follow what the district has directed. For example, if school is cancelled, there is no practice. If there is a late start, practice is cancelled. If evening activities were cancelled the previous day, there will be no morning practice.
If it is an icy morning, parents should keep their swimmers home rather than risk the treacherous roads. If you are not going to make it to practice, please send me a Remind message so that I know not to expect you at the pool.
If I need to cancel practice at the last minute, I will send out an announcement via Remind to let you all know. Being on Remind is CRITICAL.
WIAA State Rules
- 62.3.0 Swimmers must practice their entire practice session with their High School team to be eligible to compete for that team.
- 18.19.2 Schools may not give special treatment or privileges on a regular basis to enable them to participate in non-school athletic activities, such as reduced practice times, special workouts, late arrivals or early dismissals.
- 22.2.4 Individuals and teams that qualify for a state qualifying event must compete unless exempted by the appropriate level.
- 22.2.5 By entering participants in postseason competition, each member school certifies that, barring injury, illness, religious observance or unforeseen events, the team or individuals representing the school will participate in every level of competition through the completion of the state championship event.
- Academics are imperative to success, both as an athlete and student. Swimmers are required to maintain a 2.0. See: https://northcreek.nsd.org/athletics/eligibility
- If swimmers are struggling academically, they should come talk to the coaches so we can develop a plan to help you out. Remember, swimmers are a student first, then an athlete.
Registering for Swimming
The first thing to do is Register for athletics here.
Here is a very quick summary of the registration process: pay a registration fee ($154), buy an ASB card/sticker, register through FinalForms, get a physical (which is good for 2 years) and fill out the form and turn it into NCHS, and meet eligibility requirements.